SMART METERS & THE PSC CANDIDATE
Radio Commentary, 90.7, 91.7 New Life FM, October 19, 2012 – By Sue Ella Deadwyler
Good morning, Jim. Two Public Service Commissioners were up for reelection this year and one of them – Commissioner Wise – won another term by defeating his Republican opponent in the Primary. Commissioner Chuck Eaton, who also defeated a Republican opponent, but he has Democrat opposition in November.
So, this is a perfect time to ask these candidates about their position on smart meters. It’s also appropriate to use the term “spy and fry meters” to get their attention as you explain the dangers of smart meter radiation and fire hazards.
WSBTV consumer investigator Jim Strickland recently reported that fire “shot from around the smart meter Georgia Power installed in 2010” and fried the wiring in a Decatur, Georgia home. The family was at home to put out the fire, but not before it caused $11,140 in damage. Now, they’re using a generator until the wiring can be replaced. In recent months, another smart-meter fire was reported in Georgia. In Philadelphia, PECO Energy suspended smart meter installation after receiving 29 fire reports. In Texas several fires have been blamed on smart meters.
Smart meters emit strong bursts of microwave radiation, which the World Health Organization labeled in May 2011 a Class 2b carcinogen – the same category as lead, DDT and chloroform. But that doesn’t concern utility companies.